Join Nick Brazzi for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding how Internet connectivity can affect speed, part of Speeding Up and Maintaining Your Mac.
- Previously, we talked about the three main components…of your computer which can affect the speed…of your computer, but it's also worth recognizing…that internet connection speed is also a factor.…Strictly speaking,…a slow internet connection does not slow down your computer.…But if information…from the internet is not downloading fast enough,…it can feel like your computer is running slow.…As you're diagnosing speed issues with your computer,…I want you to start thinking…about whether the slow-downs only happen…when you're doing something on the web.…
Of course, this includes browsing websites.…It also includes watching streaming video…on Hulu or Netflix, or Amazon or YouTube,…or even the iTunes video store.…Are files taking a long time to download…while everything else on your computer is working just fine?…Are you using an application that pulls data…from an online server?…For example, I use a FileMaker database on a regular basis.…When my computer is in the same building…as the FileMaker server, it runs great,…
- Identify factors that can affect the speed of your Wi-Fi connection.
- Recognize the difficulty in upgrading the processor on an iMac desktop.
- List the keys you need to press and hold to reset the PRAM.
- Identify the steps you should take to access the Application Support Folder.
- Name the program you would use to see which programs are taking up your processor power.
- Recognize which color in the Memory Pressure graph indicates that you have enough memory resources available.