Join Nick Brazzi for an in-depth discussion in this video General cleanup, part of Speeding Up and Maintaining Your Mac.
- General clutter can sometimes…be the cause of speed issues on a Mac.…So, it's a good idea to keep things clean and organized.…In this movie, I want to focus specifically on…log in items and files stored on the desktop.…If either of these things get really messy,…it can put a lot of load on your RAM and your hard drive.…The result might be a slower computer, in general,…or it might just take a longer time…for your computer to start up.…So, of course you should be noticing…that I have a lot of icons here on my desktop.…
That's something that I want to get cleaned up,…because when you start up your computer,…it's gonna need to load up information…about these files on your desktop into RAM.…At the very least, for pictures like this,…it's gonna load up the thumbnail image.…It can be convenient to have files…easily accessible here on the desktop,…but the more files you have,…especially large files just sitting on the desktop,…it can effect the speed of your computer.…Generally what I like to do is open up Finder,…
- Identify factors that can affect the speed of your Wi-Fi connection.
- Recognize the difficulty in upgrading the processor on an iMac desktop.
- List the keys you need to press and hold to reset the PRAM.
- Identify the steps you should take to access the Application Support Folder.
- Name the program you would use to see which programs are taking up your processor power.
- Recognize which color in the Memory Pressure graph indicates that you have enough memory resources available.