Join Nick Brazzi for an in-depth discussion in this video Determining if your hard drive is fast enough for your work, part of Speeding Up and Maintaining Your Mac.
- One common reason that a Mac might…run slower than expected,…is that the hard drive is slow.…In this movie we want to talk about…the inherent speed of your hard drive,…which is all about how quickly…a hard-drive can transfer data,…which can be a huge component…of your computer's performance.…Now were talking about the speed…that your hard drive was designed…and built to operate at.…There are other factors that can affect…a drive's natural speed capabilities,…which we'll cover later in this chapter.…But, I want to start by making sure…that you have the right drive…for the sort of work that you're doing.…
You can probably guess where I'm going here.…You may not need a very fast hard drive.…It really depends on the work that you're trying to do.…Filling a glass of water from a garden hose…is faster than filling a glass of water…from the kitchen sink.…But does that speed really save you any time.…Isn't the kitchen sink already fast enough.…It depends on what you're trying to do.…So here are some scenarios where a super-fast hard drive…
- Identify factors that can affect the speed of your Wi-Fi connection.
- Recognize the difficulty in upgrading the processor on an iMac desktop.
- List the keys you need to press and hold to reset the PRAM.
- Identify the steps you should take to access the Application Support Folder.
- Name the program you would use to see which programs are taking up your processor power.
- Recognize which color in the Memory Pressure graph indicates that you have enough memory resources available.