Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Working with "modeled" vintage compressor/limiter plug-ins, part of Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processing.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
The old is new again, at least as far as compressors go.…In the last decade, it seems a year hasn't passed that some company hasn't…introduced a new and improved plug-in model of a vintage compressor.…Aside from the company simply needing new products to sell, computers have also…gotten much faster over the years, so the models could be more CPU-intensive and…thus recreate every detail of the original with more precision.…The good news is that new vintage model dynamics processors have never sounded…more like their analog counterparts.…
I'm going to show you how to use two the most common vintage-modeled compression…plug-ins: the Universal Audio 1176 and the Teletronix LA-2A.…There are at least five companies that I can think of at the top of my head…that have modeled these classics into plug-ins.…And some will not feature the exact same name, due to licensing reasons, but as…soon as you see the interface, you will definitely recognize the similarities.…Here, I am using the Waves CLA compressors as an example of the UA 1176 and LA-2A.…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring amplitude
- Understanding dynamic range
- Introducing compressors
- Utilizing compression ratios
- Applying attack and release
- Evening out a vocal performance with compression
- Adding punch and sustain to drums
- Using compression presets intelligently
- How to record with compression
- Solving common mix problems with limiters
- De-essing a vocal track
- Using gates and expanders
- Controlling frequency content with multiband compressors
- Using sidechains creatively
- Keying gates and compressors
- Fixing overcompressed tracks
- Using mixbus compression
- Working with parallel compression
- Compression and limiting best practices
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Foundations of Audio: EQ and Filterswith Brian Lee White2h 29m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
1. Audio Dynamics
4. Special Dynamics Processors
5. Advanced Topics
An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.