Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video What is amplitude?, part of Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processing.
Before getting into the nuts and bolts of dynamics processors such as…compressors, limiters, and gates, it's important to take a step back and examine…some of the basics of sound.…Sound is made of waves of energy that oscillate back and forth through a medium.…Usually the medium is air, but sound can also travel through solids, like…drywall or liquids, like water.…Soundwaves create an invisible push and pull of the air particles around us and…our ears perceive and translate these waves into nerve impulses that are sent to our brain.…
For example, when you play music from your speakers, the speaker cone moves in…and out, creating changes in the pressure of the surrounding air. The…resulting soundwaves are picked up by our ears and our brain translates them…into sound information.…Soundwaves are generally measured across two dimensions:…frequency and amplitude.…Frequency is the oscillation speed of the wave of the rate of push and pull of air particles.…Higher frequencies produce higher- pitched sounds, while lower frequencies…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring amplitude
- Understanding dynamic range
- Introducing compressors
- Utilizing compression ratios
- Applying attack and release
- Evening out a vocal performance with compression
- Adding punch and sustain to drums
- Using compression presets intelligently
- How to record with compression
- Solving common mix problems with limiters
- De-essing a vocal track
- Using gates and expanders
- Controlling frequency content with multiband compressors
- Using sidechains creatively
- Keying gates and compressors
- Fixing overcompressed tracks
- Using mixbus compression
- Working with parallel compression
- Compression and limiting best practices
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Foundations of Audio: EQ and Filterswith Brian Lee White2h 29m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
Pro Tools 11 Essential Trainingwith RIAN SKYE G LEWIN9h 14m Beginner
1. Audio Dynamics
4. Special Dynamics Processors
5. Advanced Topics
An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.