Shows how to properly apply equalization (EQ) to improve the sound of a mix.
- Hi, I'm Brian Lee White and welcome to Foundations of Audio: EQ and Filters. In this course, we'll look at a variety of equalizer and filter techniques, including parametric, shelving, high-pass, and low-pass filter shapes. I'll start by covering the fundamentals of a sound wave's frequency and amplitude. Then I'll break down the common controls of an EQ and show you how to create definition, clarity, and focus in your mix.
? You say you love me ? But you won't come down ? I'll demonstrate how to EQ in context and create complementary EQ curves, use EQ in unique and creative ways to find a signature sound, and effectively read a real-time frequency analyzer. I'll then explain how to EQ your FX returns to increase mix clarity and shape the tails of reverb and delay. I'll cover techniques including frequency bracketing, EQ automation, and using software models of vintage hardware.
Lastly, I'll discuss best practices for when and how to use EQ and filters in your mixes. (guitar strumming) Throughout the course, I'll also provide you with guided exercise content in the form of Get in the Mix demonstration sessions that you can open up in your own digital audio workstation. Now, let's get started with Foundations of Audio: EQ and Filters.
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring frequency and amplitude
- Understanding the relationship between frequency and pitch
- Working with EQ controls such as bandwidth (Q) and gain
- Using graphic EQ
- Understanding the shelving and high-pass and low-pass filters
- Creating focus with EQ
- Creating complementary EQ curves
- Performing frequency bracketing with filters
- Automating EQ
- Using frequency analyzers
- Using harmonic generators to excite frequency content
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Understanding Frequency and Amplitude
2. Using Equalizers
3. Advanced EQ Topics
4. Additional EQ and Filtering Techniques
6. An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.