Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Utilizing compression ratios, part of Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processing.
We now know that a compressor's threshold determines the point at which the…compressor activates, but how much the signal is actually compressed is…controlled by a parameter called ratio.…A compressor's ratio control determines how much any signal over the threshold…is attenuated and is generally expressed as a larger number over one, for example, 4:1.…Many times compressors will express the threshold and ratio relationship using…an X-Y graph called a transfer curve.…A transfer curve graph plots the signal's input into the compressor on the X…axis and the signal's output on the Y axis, so you can easily trace different…scenarios just by following the line.…
The kink in the line, called the knee, is the point at which the compressor's…response becomes nonlinear.…That is to say, the input and the output do not match because the compressor is…now reducing the gain of any signals over the threshold by the amount defined by the ratio.…A ratio of 1:1 means no compression takes place, and lower ratios may be barely visible.…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring amplitude
- Understanding dynamic range
- Introducing compressors
- Utilizing compression ratios
- Applying attack and release
- Evening out a vocal performance with compression
- Adding punch and sustain to drums
- Using compression presets intelligently
- How to record with compression
- Solving common mix problems with limiters
- De-essing a vocal track
- Using gates and expanders
- Controlling frequency content with multiband compressors
- Using sidechains creatively
- Keying gates and compressors
- Fixing overcompressed tracks
- Using mixbus compression
- Working with parallel compression
- Compression and limiting best practices
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Foundations of Audio: EQ and Filterswith Brian Lee White2h 29m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
Pro Tools 11 Essential Trainingwith RIAN SKYE G LEWIN9h 14m Beginner
1. Audio Dynamics
4. Special Dynamics Processors
5. Advanced Topics
An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.