Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Using side chains creatively, part of Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processing.
What used to be reserved for the underground electronic music scene has since…become a go-to technique for pop arrangers everywhere.…Compressing a synth pad or a bass with a side-chain kick drum is a sound that you can't mistake.…Let me show you how to set it up.…Listen to this unprocessed kick drum and synth pad.…(music playing)…Now, listen as I enable the side-chain compressor on the synth.…
(music playing)…Here's how I set it up.…As with any side-chain workflow, we must first define what will be receiving the…compression and what will act as the key of that compressor.…In this case we want to compress or duck the synth pad every time the kick drum hits.…Now, because the kick drum is plain and nice even four-on-the floor beat, this…creates a cool breathing or pumping effect on the synth pad, as if it was…swelling to the beat of the music.…
I'll start by applying the compressor to my synth pad.…In this case, I'm using the Waves C1.…Now, if I stopped here, I would simply be compressing the synth pad using its…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring amplitude
- Understanding dynamic range
- Introducing compressors
- Utilizing compression ratios
- Applying attack and release
- Evening out a vocal performance with compression
- Adding punch and sustain to drums
- Using compression presets intelligently
- How to record with compression
- Solving common mix problems with limiters
- De-essing a vocal track
- Using gates and expanders
- Controlling frequency content with multiband compressors
- Using sidechains creatively
- Keying gates and compressors
- Fixing overcompressed tracks
- Using mixbus compression
- Working with parallel compression
- Compression and limiting best practices
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Foundations of Audio: EQ and Filterswith Brian Lee White2h 29m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
1. Audio Dynamics
4. Special Dynamics Processors
5. Advanced Topics
An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.