Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Using layered dynamics processing, part of Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processing.
Now that we know we can use limiters inside our mix to tame transients and…plosives, let's take a look at an example where taming those nasty things…actually helps other dynamics processors in our mix work better.…In this example, you can clearly see that the signal's waveform has a few spots…that really stand out from the rest.…This signal is in need of compression to even out the performance and sit it…firmly in the mix, but all those hot spots may cause the compressor to work too hard,…since I would need to pull the threshold down so far under where the transients…are sitting to grab the meat of the signal that I really want to compress.…
What I like to do in these situations is insert a limiter before the compressor…to create a layered-compression signal flow.…The limiter will be set with a higher threshold to catch and tame the hot spots,…while the compressor will work more on the true average level of the signal.…Listen as I play and adjust the L1 limiter to tame just the peaks of the vocal…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring amplitude
- Understanding dynamic range
- Introducing compressors
- Utilizing compression ratios
- Applying attack and release
- Evening out a vocal performance with compression
- Adding punch and sustain to drums
- Using compression presets intelligently
- How to record with compression
- Solving common mix problems with limiters
- De-essing a vocal track
- Using gates and expanders
- Controlling frequency content with multiband compressors
- Using sidechains creatively
- Keying gates and compressors
- Fixing overcompressed tracks
- Using mixbus compression
- Working with parallel compression
- Compression and limiting best practices
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Foundations of Audio: EQ and Filterswith Brian Lee White2h 29m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
Pro Tools 11 Essential Trainingwith RIAN SKYE G LEWIN9h 14m Beginner
1. Audio Dynamics
4. Special Dynamics Processors
5. Advanced Topics
An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.