Ready to watch this entire course?
Become a member and get unlimited access to the entire skills library of over 4,900 courses, including more Audio + Music and personalized recommendations.Start Your Free Trial Now
- View Offline
- Measuring amplitude
- Understanding dynamic range
- Introducing compressors
- Utilizing compression ratios
- Applying attack and release
- Evening out a vocal performance with compression
- Adding punch and sustain to drums
- Using compression presets intelligently
- How to record with compression
- Solving common mix problems with limiters
- De-essing a vocal track
- Using gates and expanders
- Controlling frequency content with multiband compressors
- Using sidechains creatively
- Keying gates and compressors
- Fixing overcompressed tracks
- Using mixbus compression
- Working with parallel compression
- Compression and limiting best practices
Skill Level Appropriate for all
This course features Get in the Mix exercise content, living sessions with built-in demonstrations and practice material for you to use with your own digital audio workstation, or DAW. Using your DAW's video track capabilities, I'll guide you through automated audio examples, demonstrating a number of the concepts and techniques discussed in this course. All you need to do is press play. Since the files are actual native, high- fidelity project files purpose-built for your specific DAW, you can manipulate the audio examples yourself.
So feel free to pause, rewind, repeat, and zoom in on sections during the demonstrations to solidify your knowledge. Get In The Mix project files also feature additional practice tracks, so you can explore the techniques you just learned on your own. These tracks are labeled Practice, and their content is located at the end of the demonstration material. Before using Get In The Mix content, you must first download the package prepared for your specific DAW from this course's page in the lynda.com Online Training Library.
Inside this package, you will find the Get In The Mix files. Throughout the course, I will direct you to open these files when appropriate. If you have this course on DVD, the Get In The Mix files are included on the DVD. Unlike premium exercise content, Get In The Mix content is available to all lynda.com subscribers. If you are a Premium subscriber, you also have access to the raw audio material used to create the exercise content, as well as all other audio examples featured throughout the course.
So download that content package and get in the mix with Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processing.