Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding and using multi-band compressors/limiters, part of Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processing.
Remember how I said a de-esser was a frequency-specific compressor working only…on the sibilant sounds within a track or mix. A multiband compressor follows the…same idea, but works across the entire frequency range.…By splitting up the compression into multiple parts, or bands, an engineer can…focus dynamic control within a specified frequency range, leaving other…frequencies uncompressed.…Because of these multiple bands of gain control, multiband compressors are…especially handy in situations where only certain parts of the signal need…dynamics control, like cleaning up the low-end resonance of a signal while…leaving the high-frequency content uncompressed, or less compressed, or super-…compressing the top end of a vocal to achieve that pop polish without all the…harshness that would come from using EQ only.…
Mastering engineers will sometime use multiband compression to tighten up…elements of a mix that didn't receive enough compression during the mixing…stage, like a bass guitar that was left uncompressed, creating unpredictable…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring amplitude
- Understanding dynamic range
- Introducing compressors
- Utilizing compression ratios
- Applying attack and release
- Evening out a vocal performance with compression
- Adding punch and sustain to drums
- Using compression presets intelligently
- How to record with compression
- Solving common mix problems with limiters
- De-essing a vocal track
- Using gates and expanders
- Controlling frequency content with multiband compressors
- Using sidechains creatively
- Keying gates and compressors
- Fixing overcompressed tracks
- Using mixbus compression
- Working with parallel compression
- Compression and limiting best practices
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Foundations of Audio: EQ and Filterswith Brian Lee White2h 29m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
Pro Tools 11 Essential Trainingwith RIAN SKYE G LEWIN9h 14m Beginner
1. Audio Dynamics
4. Special Dynamics Processors
5. Advanced Topics
An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.