Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding and using gates, part of Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processing.
The next time you're at the supermarket pay attention to how the automatic…doors open and close.…Walk towards the door, the motion detector senses your presence and opens up to let you in.…Once you walk through, it senses you're no longer there and closes automatically…to keep the heating and cooling costs down. Simple, right?…Well, you've just experienced a real-life version of the dynamics processor we call a gate.…A gate and its close sibling the expander are extremely common…dynamic processing tools.…They're generally used to allow the desired clean signal to pass through while…removing any unwanted low-level noise, like hum from a guitar amp or bleed from…a track, like the sound of a headphone mix that bleeds into a vocal mic during…a vocal recording session.…
Take a listen to this drum track and notice the bleed of other pieces in this kit.…(music playing)…Now listen with the gate in effect.…Notice how the kick sound is much cleaner and the bleed is eliminated.…(music playing)…We use gates and expanders to remove or reduce the bleed between notes or…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring amplitude
- Understanding dynamic range
- Introducing compressors
- Utilizing compression ratios
- Applying attack and release
- Evening out a vocal performance with compression
- Adding punch and sustain to drums
- Using compression presets intelligently
- How to record with compression
- Solving common mix problems with limiters
- De-essing a vocal track
- Using gates and expanders
- Controlling frequency content with multiband compressors
- Using sidechains creatively
- Keying gates and compressors
- Fixing overcompressed tracks
- Using mixbus compression
- Working with parallel compression
- Compression and limiting best practices
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Foundations of Audio: EQ and Filterswith Brian Lee White2h 29m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
Pro Tools 11 Essential Trainingwith RIAN SKYE G LEWIN9h 14m Beginner
1. Audio Dynamics
4. Special Dynamics Processors
5. Advanced Topics
An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.