Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding and using expanders, part of Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processing.
Gates with ratio controls are called expanders. Instead of completely cutting…off a signal below the threshold, expanders simply reduce the volume of the…signal below the threshold by the specified ratio.…In this case they're truly a reverse compressor because they expand the dynamic…range of the signal instead of reducing it.…In an expander, the signals that passed over the threshold are unaffected and…the signals that fall under the threshold are attenuated.…This creates a greater dynamic range between the softest and loudest parts of a signal.…Expanders are perfect for scenarios when you don't want to kill the bleed but…just want to turn it down a bit or separate it more from the main signal.…
This can help give a signal a little more bounce as the dynamic range between…the below and above threshold parts is extended or expanded.…Listen to the snare through an expander with a ratio of 2:1.…Notice how the bleed is reduced but not eliminated.…(music playing)…Expanders, as well as gates, may also feature a range control that allows you to…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring amplitude
- Understanding dynamic range
- Introducing compressors
- Utilizing compression ratios
- Applying attack and release
- Evening out a vocal performance with compression
- Adding punch and sustain to drums
- Using compression presets intelligently
- How to record with compression
- Solving common mix problems with limiters
- De-essing a vocal track
- Using gates and expanders
- Controlling frequency content with multiband compressors
- Using sidechains creatively
- Keying gates and compressors
- Fixing overcompressed tracks
- Using mixbus compression
- Working with parallel compression
- Compression and limiting best practices
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Foundations of Audio: EQ and Filterswith Brian Lee White2h 29m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
Pro Tools 11 Essential Trainingwith RIAN SKYE G LEWIN9h 14m Beginner
1. Audio Dynamics
4. Special Dynamics Processors
5. Advanced Topics
An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.