Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding and using de-essers, part of Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processing.
Sibilance is a term that usually refers to the hissing effect produced when a…vocalist speaks or sings a hard S sound.…This S sound can be overwhelming and irritating and could be especially bad when…certain singers are recorded with less-than-optimal microphones.…Hi-hat cymbals and some other high- frequency instruments can also create sibilance.…The challenge to eliminate this unwanted sound is so prominent in the recording…world that a specific type of dynamics processor was developed to tackle it,…called a de-esser.…
In a typical compression or limiting scenario we know that the processor looks…for and reacts to a signal's amplitude going over the defined threshold.…It doesn't matter if that signal is a low-frequency signal or a high-frequency…signal, a bass note or treble note.…Any amplitude value measured over the threshold will cause the compressor…to react and reduce the gain as prescribed by the ratio, attack, and release controls.…But what about special scenarios where we're looking to attenuate the signal…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring amplitude
- Understanding dynamic range
- Introducing compressors
- Utilizing compression ratios
- Applying attack and release
- Evening out a vocal performance with compression
- Adding punch and sustain to drums
- Using compression presets intelligently
- How to record with compression
- Solving common mix problems with limiters
- De-essing a vocal track
- Using gates and expanders
- Controlling frequency content with multiband compressors
- Using sidechains creatively
- Keying gates and compressors
- Fixing overcompressed tracks
- Using mixbus compression
- Working with parallel compression
- Compression and limiting best practices
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Foundations of Audio: EQ and Filterswith Brian Lee White2h 29m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
Pro Tools 11 Essential Trainingwith RIAN SKYE G LEWIN9h 14m Beginner
1. Audio Dynamics
4. Special Dynamics Processors
5. Advanced Topics
An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.