Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding mix bus compression, part of Audio Foundations: Compression and Dynamic Processing.
Mix bus or simply bus compression is the practice of using a compressor on…a group of tracks sub-mixed together, as opposed to only compressing each…track individually.…For example, I may use a compressor on my kick, snare, toms, and overhead…individually, but I might also use a compressor on the entire drum sub mix…to achieve an effect…that's not possible through adjusting the individual compressors in isolation.…Bus compressors are generally associated with the phrase "gluing the mix together"…and the pedigree has a fairly interesting history,…dating back to the first bus compressors installed in large analog consoles.…
The A&R executives used to call the bus compressor insert button the record…button because it instantly glued the entire mix together and made the mix…sound like a record.…Take a listen to this mix before and after bus compression through a plug-in…version of the famous SSL bus compressor.…Here is the mix before adding the SSL bus compression.…(music playing)…And here is the mix with the SSL bus compression active.…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring amplitude
- Understanding dynamic range
- Introducing compressors
- Utilizing compression ratios
- Applying attack and release
- Evening out a vocal performance with compression
- Adding punch and sustain to drums
- Using compression presets intelligently
- How to record with compression
- Solving common mix problems with limiters
- De-essing a vocal track
- Using gates and expanders
- Controlling frequency content with multiband compressors
- Using sidechains creatively
- Keying gates and compressors
- Fixing overcompressed tracks
- Using mixbus compression
- Working with parallel compression
- Compression and limiting best practices
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Q: This course was updated on 1/10/2014. What changed?
A: The Get in the Mix videos have been updated to the most recent version of Pro Tools. Also, the course now includes free Get in the Mix sessions for two more DAWs: Logic Pro X and Pro Tools 11.
Audio Foundations: EQ and Filterswith Brian Lee White2h 29m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
1. Audio Dynamics
4. Special Dynamics Processors
5. Advanced Topics
An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.