Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding makeup gain and gain reduction, part of Audio Foundations: Compression and Dynamic Processing.
When an audio signal is compressed, its amplitude above the threshold is reduced…according to the ratio.…The gain reduction, sometimes labeled GR, tells us how much threshold interaction…and ultimately how much gain reduction or signal attenuation is taking place in…the compressor at any given time.…In simple terms, gain reduction tells us how much the compressor is turning down…our signal, measured in decibels.…Gain reduction can be monitored in most compressors.…When audio is played through a compressor, the amount of gain reduction at any…moment is shown on the GR meter.…
Watch the Gain Reduction meter on this Wave's plug-in as I play some…compressed audio through it.…(music playing)…The lower we set the threshold, the more audio signal is compressed, resulting…in more gain reduction.…Also, if the ratio is set high, say 8:1, then we will also see more gain…reduction than with lower ratios.…Because our working compressor is actively attenuating or lowering the level of…the signal, most compressors feature makeup gain, sometimes labeled just gain or…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring amplitude
- Understanding dynamic range
- Introducing compressors
- Utilizing compression ratios
- Applying attack and release
- Evening out a vocal performance with compression
- Adding punch and sustain to drums
- Using compression presets intelligently
- How to record with compression
- Solving common mix problems with limiters
- De-essing a vocal track
- Using gates and expanders
- Controlling frequency content with multiband compressors
- Using sidechains creatively
- Keying gates and compressors
- Fixing overcompressed tracks
- Using mixbus compression
- Working with parallel compression
- Compression and limiting best practices
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Q: This course was updated on 1/10/2014. What changed?
A: The Get in the Mix videos have been updated to the most recent version of Pro Tools. Also, the course now includes free Get in the Mix sessions for two more DAWs: Logic Pro X and Pro Tools 11.
Audio Foundations: EQ and Filterswith Brian Lee White2h 29m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
1. Audio Dynamics
4. Special Dynamics Processors
5. Advanced Topics
An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.