Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding frequency and gain EQ controls, part of Audio Foundations: EQ and Filters.
The two most important controls in any equalizer are frequency and gain.…Just like the two dimensions of sound waves--frequency and amplitude--the…frequency and gain controls are the heart of the EQ and allow us to apply…amplitude changes to specific ranges of frequencies.…An EQ's frequency control tells the EQ where to increase or decrease a signal's…amplitude, while the gain control tells the EQ how much.…
Listen to this audio example as I increase the gain control and sweep through the…range of frequencies from low to high.…(music playing)…An increase in gain is often referred to as a boost.…
Now listen again to an audio example as I decrease the gain control and sweep…through the range of frequencies.…(music playing)…A decrease in gain is often referred to as a cut.…
An EQ's frequency and gain controls allow us to reshape a signal's amplitude…across the frequency spectrum.…By boosting or cutting a signal's amplitude over various frequency bands, we…can work towards a more idealized frequency balance to help an instrument sit…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring frequency and amplitude
- Understanding the relationship between frequency and pitch
- Working with EQ controls such as bandwidth (Q) and gain
- Using graphic EQ
- Understanding the shelving and high-pass and low-pass filters
- Creating focus with EQ
- Creating complementary EQ curves
- Performing frequency bracketing with filters
- Automating EQ
- Using frequency analyzers
- Using harmonic generators to excite frequency content
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Understanding Frequency and Amplitude
2. Using Equalizers
3. Advanced EQ Topics
4. Additional EQ and Filtering Techniques
6. An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.