Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding attack and release, part of Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processing.
We have established that a compressor reacts by turning down the signal whenever…it gets louder than its threshold setting.…But just as it takes you a few seconds to turn down the volume of your TV when…those loud commercials come on, and a few more seconds to turn the volume back…up when the program returns, a compressor takes time to react to a signal also.…A compressor's attack and release controls determine the reaction time of any…gain reduction once the threshold is breached.…When a signal is determined to be too loud and shoots over the threshold, the…attack time is how long it takes for the compressor to grab hold of the signal…and turn down the volume.…
Likewise, when that same signal falls back below the threshold and stops being…too loud, the release time is how long it takes for the compressor to let go of…the signal and return it to its uncompressed level.…Well, it might take you five to ten seconds to grab that remote and adjust the volume…on your TV, compressors generally work much faster, sometimes even reacting…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring amplitude
- Understanding dynamic range
- Introducing compressors
- Utilizing compression ratios
- Applying attack and release
- Evening out a vocal performance with compression
- Adding punch and sustain to drums
- Using compression presets intelligently
- How to record with compression
- Solving common mix problems with limiters
- De-essing a vocal track
- Using gates and expanders
- Controlling frequency content with multiband compressors
- Using sidechains creatively
- Keying gates and compressors
- Fixing overcompressed tracks
- Using mixbus compression
- Working with parallel compression
- Compression and limiting best practices
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Foundations of Audio: EQ and Filterswith Brian Lee White2h 29m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
Pro Tools 11 Essential Trainingwith RIAN SKYE G LEWIN9h 14m Beginner
1. Audio Dynamics
4. Special Dynamics Processors
5. Advanced Topics
An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.