Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Types of limiters, part of Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processing.
There are two major classes of limiters.…The first type is one we're already familiar with, as any compressor with a…ratio control can be used as a limiter, simply by increasing the ratio above 10 to 1.…These types of limiters are useful for controlling signals that need more…aggressive gain reduction than compressors with lower ratios, such as very…dynamic vocal performances.…The second type of limiter is a special limiter whose ratio is…essentially infinite.…These limiters are often called brickwall limiters because no matter what the…input amplitude is, the single will never pass over the threshold.…
Brickwall limiters are typically used to maximize loudness and average level…while protecting the signal from clipping. Because no signal is allowed to pass…the threshold, these types of limiters generally do not have attack controls;…the attack time is instant.…Actually the limiter buffers the incoming signal and instantly reduces any high-…amplitude signal that'll overshoot the threshold.…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring amplitude
- Understanding dynamic range
- Introducing compressors
- Utilizing compression ratios
- Applying attack and release
- Evening out a vocal performance with compression
- Adding punch and sustain to drums
- Using compression presets intelligently
- How to record with compression
- Solving common mix problems with limiters
- De-essing a vocal track
- Using gates and expanders
- Controlling frequency content with multiband compressors
- Using sidechains creatively
- Keying gates and compressors
- Fixing overcompressed tracks
- Using mixbus compression
- Working with parallel compression
- Compression and limiting best practices
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Foundations of Audio: EQ and Filterswith Brian Lee White2h 29m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
Pro Tools 11 Essential Trainingwith RIAN SKYE G LEWIN9h 14m Beginner
1. Audio Dynamics
4. Special Dynamics Processors
5. Advanced Topics
An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.