Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Solving common mix problems with limiters, part of Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processing.
Using limiters to squash your entire mix into the loudest song ever created…isn't the only way we can put them to work in our mix.…We can also use them to better control a signal's peak to average level on…an individual track.…Let's listen to this example.…(music playing)…Notice that the signal contains many quick peaks that reach very close to 0 dBFS.…Adding any compression without using a near-instant attack would clip the…output of the compressor as those quick peaks sneak through the…compressor's attack stage.…
Watch the compressor's output and listen to the quick transients escape through the…compressor's slower 20- millisecond attack stage and clip.…(music playing)…Likewise, adding any boost via EQ would cause a clip as well.…Again, watch the EQ's output meter and listen to the EQ clip as the last bit of…headroom is gobbled up with the EQ boost.…(music playing)…Instead of a regular compressor, by applying a brickwall limiter, we can retain…most of the dynamic feel of the signal while keeping those peaks from jumping out…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring amplitude
- Understanding dynamic range
- Introducing compressors
- Utilizing compression ratios
- Applying attack and release
- Evening out a vocal performance with compression
- Adding punch and sustain to drums
- Using compression presets intelligently
- How to record with compression
- Solving common mix problems with limiters
- De-essing a vocal track
- Using gates and expanders
- Controlling frequency content with multiband compressors
- Using sidechains creatively
- Keying gates and compressors
- Fixing overcompressed tracks
- Using mixbus compression
- Working with parallel compression
- Compression and limiting best practices
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Foundations of Audio: EQ and Filterswith Brian Lee White2h 29m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
Pro Tools 11 Essential Trainingwith RIAN SKYE G LEWIN9h 14m Beginner
1. Audio Dynamics
4. Special Dynamics Processors
5. Advanced Topics
An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.