Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Shelving filters, part of Audio Foundations: EQ and Filters.
If you've ever used the EQ or tone control in your car stereo, you've most…likely experienced a shelving filter.…Unlike a parametric filter, a shelving filter is designed to boost or cut the…signal at the target frequency and continue that boost or cut into lower or…higher frequencies past the target.…A shelving filter gets its name from the distinct shelf shape it forms in the…EQ's frequency graph.…Shelving filters come in two distinct flavors:…high shelf and low shelf.…
With high-shelf filters, the frequencies above the target frequency are boosted…or cut uniformly through the top end of the EQ.…With low-shelf filters, the frequencies below the target frequency are boosted…or cut uniformly through the low end of the EQ.…Let's hear some shelving filters in action.…First, listen to this parametric filter as I boost 6 dB at 6K.…(music playing)…Now listen as I switch the parametric filter to a high-shelf filter and perform…the same 6 dB boost.…
(music playing)…Notice that the high-shelf filter affects more frequencies than the parametric,…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring frequency and amplitude
- Understanding the relationship between frequency and pitch
- Working with EQ controls such as bandwidth (Q) and gain
- Using graphic EQ
- Understanding the shelving and high-pass and low-pass filters
- Creating focus with EQ
- Creating complementary EQ curves
- Performing frequency bracketing with filters
- Automating EQ
- Using frequency analyzers
- Using harmonic generators to excite frequency content
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Understanding Frequency and Amplitude
2. Using Equalizers
3. Advanced EQ Topics
4. Additional EQ and Filtering Techniques
6. An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.