Join Alex U. Case for an in-depth discussion in this video Setting the delay time by tempo, part of Audio Foundations: Delay and Modulation.
Approximately 99.9% of the time, and I'm just guessing here, it might be 99.99%,…echo should be set to a time that makes musical sense.…You don't simply pick a random delay time and mix away.…A musical delay time is carefully dialed in, should it repeat with a quarter…note rhythm, an eighth note, a triplet, it's worth thinking this essential…step through carefully.…Sometimes in our search for a specific musical time value, we calculate a…delay time.…How is this calculated?…It's time for a useful bit of algebra.…
If the tempo of the song is known in beats per minute, shown here as BPM, and…the duration of a quarter note delay in milliseconds is desired, let's call it Q…for quarter note, perform the following calculation.…In music a song's tempo is notated in beats per minute, BPM, but how many…minutes are in a beat?…First convert beats per minute into minutes per beat by taking the reciprocal.…BPM, beats per minute, becomes 1 over BPM minutes per beat.…Time and minutes now needs to be converted to milliseconds.…
- Adjusting the delay time, level, and feedback parameters
- Utilizing a low-pass filter and polarity reverse
- Setting up an effects loop
- Setting the delay time by tempo or by ear
- Understanding the distinct uses of short, medium, and long delays
- Adjusting modulation rate, depth, and shape
- Adding double tracking and spreader effects
- Manipulating tone with constructive or destructive interference
- Creating a comb filter and flange effect
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Q: This course was updated on 01/31/2014. What changed?
A: The Get in the Mix videos have been updated to the most recent version of Pro Tools. Also, the course now includes free Get in the Mix sessions for two more DAWs: Logic Pro X and Pro Tool.