- View Offline
- What is time stretching or expanding?
- Understanding how time stretching fits into the remixing process
- Working in Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Ableton Live, or Reason
- Calculating the tempo of the original track
- Dealing with wet vocal stems
- Importing vocals with the 10% time-stretch rule
- Comparing time-stretched vocals at faster tempos
- Putting a time-stretched vocal in context
- Setting up a session for double-timing a vocal
- Creating a 4/4 remix from a song originally in 3/4 or 6/8
- Tightening up a vocal that drifts from the click track
Skill Level Intermediate
Hi. I'm Josh Harris and welcome to Remixing Techniques, Time Stretching. Remixing is an art form that focuses on re imagining an artist or band's song in a completely new musical and rhythmic setting. In this course we'll look at four different time stretching scenarios and remixers often face and we'll do it using four different digital audio work stations. Ableton Live, Reason, Logic, and Pro Tools. I'll start by showing you how to do basic time stretching of a vocal by using the powerful built in time stretching algorithms found within each da.
Then, I'll show you how to identify the tempo of the original version of the song using both tap tempo techniques and built in BPM counters. You'll see how to create composite time stretched vocals by editing the original vocal and time stretch vocal together. Then we'll explore how to take a down tempo ballad and transform it into a double time remix. I'll even show you how to take a song that began it's life with a 6, 8 feel and alter the rhythm, phrasing and timing of the vocal to create a 4, 4 dance remix.
If you're someone who has felt intimated by some of the time stretching scenarios that remixers face on a regular basis, I think this course will inspire you to think about those challenges in new ways. We'll be covering all of this in four different das with lots of professional tips and real world solutions to common remixing challenges revealed along the way. If you're ready let's dive deep into Remixing Techniques, Time Stretching.