Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Recording with compression: Why or why not?, part of Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processing.
One of the most common questions I get asked in any mixing course I teach is,…should I record with compression?…And my usual answer to that is, if you're asking me that question, the answer…is no, you shouldn't. Why not?…Well, if you mess up this signal with a botched compression setting, like if you…overcompress the signal or unwittingly add unwanted distortion while…compressing, that bad compression sound will be recorded and it's really hard,…if not impossible, to undo.…Instead, record the signal with no compression and add compression later in…the mixing process.…
Just to be clear, by recording with compression, I mean using a hardware or…software compressor before your signal is recorded to hard drive or tape.…This is not the same as inserting a real-time plug-in on the track you are recording to.…If a compressor plug-in is inserted on the actual audio track you're according…to, the compression is added after the signal has been recorded, allowing you to…affect the track in a nondestructive way, and you could freely change the…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring amplitude
- Understanding dynamic range
- Introducing compressors
- Utilizing compression ratios
- Applying attack and release
- Evening out a vocal performance with compression
- Adding punch and sustain to drums
- Using compression presets intelligently
- How to record with compression
- Solving common mix problems with limiters
- De-essing a vocal track
- Using gates and expanders
- Controlling frequency content with multiband compressors
- Using sidechains creatively
- Keying gates and compressors
- Fixing overcompressed tracks
- Using mixbus compression
- Working with parallel compression
- Compression and limiting best practices
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Foundations of Audio: EQ and Filterswith Brian Lee White2h 29m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
Pro Tools 11 Essential Trainingwith RIAN SKYE G LEWIN9h 14m Beginner
1. Audio Dynamics
4. Special Dynamics Processors
5. Advanced Topics
An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.