Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Parametric equalizers, part of Audio Foundations: EQ and Filters.
Now that we have a grasp of frequency, gain, and Q, we can easily understand one…of the most common types of EQ filters, known as parametric EQ.…A parametric EQ, sometimes referred to as a peaking filter, uses all three…controls to boost or cut a signal's frequency range.…Generally broken into multiple bands where an EQ includes more than one…parametric filter, the amplitude of each band can be controlled, the center…frequency can be shifted, and the bandwidth or Q can be widened or narrowed.…
Think of a parametric filter as a mountain of boost or valley of cut across…the frequency plane.…The boost or cut is centered at the middle of the mountain or valley; therefore…the center or target frequency receives the most change, while frequencies…around the center taper off based on the Q value.…George Massenburg developed and introduced the parametric EQ in 1972,…and today parametric filtering is found in at least one band of most plug-in,…console, and hardware equalizers on the market.…
Parametric EQ is by far the most flexible type of EQ because of the ability to…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring frequency and amplitude
- Understanding the relationship between frequency and pitch
- Working with EQ controls such as bandwidth (Q) and gain
- Using graphic EQ
- Understanding the shelving and high-pass and low-pass filters
- Creating focus with EQ
- Creating complementary EQ curves
- Performing frequency bracketing with filters
- Automating EQ
- Using frequency analyzers
- Using harmonic generators to excite frequency content
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Understanding Frequency and Amplitude
2. Using Equalizers
3. Advanced EQ Topics
4. Additional EQ and Filtering Techniques
6. An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.