Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Measuring amplitude, part of Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processing.
Our ears and brains help us sense that louder sounds have higher amplitudes and…softer sounds have lower amplitudes;…however, to put that information to better use in a musical application, we need…to be able to measure a sound wave's amplitude more exactly.…Then we can create rules of what to do when a specific amplitude level is…reached, and control the range of a soundwave's amplitudes to our advantage.…This measurement process forms the basis of all dynamics processors.…If we can measure it, we can start controlling it.…
There are many ways to measure amplitude.…Inside our digital audio workstation, we will use dBFS, or Decibels Full Scale.…This scale defines our system's maximum and minimum amplitude values,…otherwise known as dynamic range.…This helps us measure and control the relative amplitude of audio signals within that range.…Sometimes the dBFS can confuse people because it counts up from negative…numbers and ends at 0.…Why does it do this?…In a digital audio system, values above 0 are simply cut off, or clipped,…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring amplitude
- Understanding dynamic range
- Introducing compressors
- Utilizing compression ratios
- Applying attack and release
- Evening out a vocal performance with compression
- Adding punch and sustain to drums
- Using compression presets intelligently
- How to record with compression
- Solving common mix problems with limiters
- De-essing a vocal track
- Using gates and expanders
- Controlling frequency content with multiband compressors
- Using sidechains creatively
- Keying gates and compressors
- Fixing overcompressed tracks
- Using mixbus compression
- Working with parallel compression
- Compression and limiting best practices
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Foundations of Audio: EQ and Filterswith Brian Lee White2h 29m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
Pro Tools 11 Essential Trainingwith RIAN SKYE G LEWIN9h 14m Beginner
1. Audio Dynamics
4. Special Dynamics Processors
5. Advanced Topics
An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.