Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Managing gain staging and headroom and fixing over-compressed tracks, part of Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processing.
As we've been discussing dynamic processors and dynamic range, you may have…heard me throwing around terms like headroom and gain staging.…Headroom is the amount by which the signal-handling capabilities of an audio…system can exceed the average working level of the system.…Headroom can be thought of as a safety zone, allowing transient audio peaks to…exceed this average working range without exceeding the signal capabilities of…an audio system--digital clipping, for example.…Another way to think about this is to imagine the ceilings in your house.…
Unless we're all NBA players, most of us will likely walk around the house…just fine without hitting our heads on the ceiling, and depending on the height of your ceilings,…there's probably a good two to four extra feet of headroom in case you get…excited and want to jump up and down.…Headroom in the analog world allows the signal breathing room before the…circuit starts to distort.…For example, in an analog mixing console, or tape machine, think of headroom as…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring amplitude
- Understanding dynamic range
- Introducing compressors
- Utilizing compression ratios
- Applying attack and release
- Evening out a vocal performance with compression
- Adding punch and sustain to drums
- Using compression presets intelligently
- How to record with compression
- Solving common mix problems with limiters
- De-essing a vocal track
- Using gates and expanders
- Controlling frequency content with multiband compressors
- Using sidechains creatively
- Keying gates and compressors
- Fixing overcompressed tracks
- Using mixbus compression
- Working with parallel compression
- Compression and limiting best practices
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Q: This course was updated on 1/10/2014. What changed?
A: The Get in the Mix videos have been updated to the most recent version of Pro Tools. Also, the course now includes free Get in the Mix sessions for two more DAWs: Logic Pro X and Pro Tools 11.
1. Audio Dynamics
4. Special Dynamics Processors
5. Advanced Topics
An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.