Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Learning to listen , part of Audio Foundations: EQ and Filters.
Applying EQ is all about listening to an audio signal and asking yourself, where…do I want to take this and why?…Approaching every track as if it needs some sort of EQ applied to it without…really having a reason why is a solution in search of a problem, and that's not…how you want to approach EQ.…Define your goals and work toward them.…Try to hear where your signal needs EQ before grabbing the knobs.…It'll be hard at first, and you'll need to practice.…
But in time, you will be surprised at yourself saying things like that…guitar has a bit of resonance around 300 to 400 Hz, and it needs to be carved…out a little.…What you won't find in this course is a laundry list of frequencies for every…instrument telling you how they should be boosted or cut. Why?…Because I don't know what your specific instrument sounds like.…For example, is your acoustic guitar a Jumbo Dreadnought Martin, a cutaway…Taylor, a three-quarter sized guitar?…They all sound very different.…
What type of strings does it have?…What key are you playing it?…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring frequency and amplitude
- Understanding the relationship between frequency and pitch
- Working with EQ controls such as bandwidth (Q) and gain
- Using graphic EQ
- Understanding the shelving and high-pass and low-pass filters
- Creating focus with EQ
- Creating complementary EQ curves
- Performing frequency bracketing with filters
- Automating EQ
- Using frequency analyzers
- Using harmonic generators to excite frequency content
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Audio Foundations: Compression and Dynamic Processingwith Brian Lee White2h 25m Appropriate for all
1. Understanding Frequency and Amplitude
2. Using Equalizers
3. Advanced EQ Topics
4. Additional EQ and Filtering Techniques
6. An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.