Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Introducing limiters, part of Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processing.
A limiter is simply a compressor with a ratio of greater than 10 to 1. BY using…such a strong ratio,…the compressor effectively limits the signal's amplitude to the threshold so…that very little, or in some cases nothing, can pass beyond the threshold.…When we look at a limiter's transfer curve graph, we find that the knee levels off…completely, effectively creating a wall at the threshold.…Since compressors and limiters are cut from the same cloth, as far as dynamics…processors go, we'll typically use them for all the same reasons we use…compressors, that is, to restrict and hone the dynamic range of overly…dynamic signals and increase the average level of a signal without…increasing peak level or clipping.…
Think of limiters as just more aggressive compressors.…You'll find that many limiters feature the same threshold attack, release. and…gain controls as regular compressors, but often without a ratio control.…since this is generally assumed to be very high or near infinite.…Limiters are especially useful while mixing because many signals contain great…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring amplitude
- Understanding dynamic range
- Introducing compressors
- Utilizing compression ratios
- Applying attack and release
- Evening out a vocal performance with compression
- Adding punch and sustain to drums
- Using compression presets intelligently
- How to record with compression
- Solving common mix problems with limiters
- De-essing a vocal track
- Using gates and expanders
- Controlling frequency content with multiband compressors
- Using sidechains creatively
- Keying gates and compressors
- Fixing overcompressed tracks
- Using mixbus compression
- Working with parallel compression
- Compression and limiting best practices
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Foundations of Audio: EQ and Filterswith Brian Lee White2h 29m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
Pro Tools 11 Essential Trainingwith RIAN SKYE G LEWIN9h 14m Beginner
1. Audio Dynamics
4. Special Dynamics Processors
5. Advanced Topics
An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.