Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Intelligently using compression presets, part of Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processing.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
Say you've just got a fancy new compressor and notice it was loaded with tons of presets.…Descriptions like "best vocal sound ever" and "snare to die for" fill this list, and…you're thinking, this is it, I finally unlocked the secrets of mixing by…purchasing this plug-in and all my problems are solved.…While there's no doubt that presets are excellent starting points for…discovering the features of a new tool,…when it comes to presets for dynamics processors, there are a few simple rules…to follow to set yourself up for success.…
First off, dynamics presets can actually be pretty awesome and often do exactly…what you're looking for right out of the gate--if you know how to use them.…The secret to using compression presets is to understand that the preset has no…idea what kind of signal level is coming in.…Therefore, the default threshold and makeup gain settings are almost always…going to be completely wrong,…either giving you too much compression, too little compression, or even worse, clipping.…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring amplitude
- Understanding dynamic range
- Introducing compressors
- Utilizing compression ratios
- Applying attack and release
- Evening out a vocal performance with compression
- Adding punch and sustain to drums
- Using compression presets intelligently
- How to record with compression
- Solving common mix problems with limiters
- De-essing a vocal track
- Using gates and expanders
- Controlling frequency content with multiband compressors
- Using sidechains creatively
- Keying gates and compressors
- Fixing overcompressed tracks
- Using mixbus compression
- Working with parallel compression
- Compression and limiting best practices
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Foundations of Audio: EQ and Filterswith Brian Lee White2h 29m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
1. Audio Dynamics
4. Special Dynamics Processors
5. Advanced Topics
An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.