Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video High- and low-pass filters, part of Audio Foundations: EQ and Filters.
We know that shelving filters boost or cut energy at the target frequency and…all audio frequencies either above or below it.…A pass filter also affects all energy above or below the target frequency, often…referred to as the cutoff frequency in a pass filter.…However, instead of boosting or cutting that content by a specific amount of…gain, it instead removes that frequency content completely.…Any frequency content outside the cutoff frequency is attenuated or cut…gradually in a downward slope, heading towards negative infinity.…
Let's listen to some audio examples.…Listen to the following drum loop with a high-pass filter engaged.…(music playing)…Next, let's listen to the loop with a low-pass filter engaged.…
(music playing)…Like the name suggests, a high-pass filter allows the highs to pass through the…filter unaffected, while the low frequencies are attenuated, or removed, starting…at the cutoff frequency and lower.…
Likewise, a low-pass filter allows the lows to pass through the filter…unaffected while the high frequencies are attenuated or removed, starting from…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring frequency and amplitude
- Understanding the relationship between frequency and pitch
- Working with EQ controls such as bandwidth (Q) and gain
- Using graphic EQ
- Understanding the shelving and high-pass and low-pass filters
- Creating focus with EQ
- Creating complementary EQ curves
- Performing frequency bracketing with filters
- Automating EQ
- Using frequency analyzers
- Using harmonic generators to excite frequency content
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Understanding Frequency and Amplitude
2. Using Equalizers
3. Advanced EQ Topics
4. Additional EQ and Filtering Techniques
6. An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.