Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Hardware and software dynamics processors, part of Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processing.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
It seems like a year never passes without at least a dozen new compressors,…limiters, and other similar tools coming onto the market.…It's no surprise that producers and engineers often become quickly overwhelmed…with the number of choices.…Which one should I buy?…Do I need all of them to make my mix sound good?…Will this year's model change my life like the advertisement says it will?…Even though all the flashy interfaces, lights, and knobs may look radically…different from each other, the reality is that all dynamics processors today are…pretty much designed on the same principles as the ones from a few decades ago,…and learning the fundamental concepts behind them and the basic techniques for…using them in your mixes translates surprisingly well across both hardware and…software processors.…
Think about it this way.…If you can drive a Toyota, you can certainly drive a Ford or a Chevy.…It might take a few minutes to get used to the controls and you might not…understand the full feature set the car offers,…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring amplitude
- Understanding dynamic range
- Introducing compressors
- Utilizing compression ratios
- Applying attack and release
- Evening out a vocal performance with compression
- Adding punch and sustain to drums
- Using compression presets intelligently
- How to record with compression
- Solving common mix problems with limiters
- De-essing a vocal track
- Using gates and expanders
- Controlling frequency content with multiband compressors
- Using sidechains creatively
- Keying gates and compressors
- Fixing overcompressed tracks
- Using mixbus compression
- Working with parallel compression
- Compression and limiting best practices
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Foundations of Audio: EQ and Filterswith Brian Lee White2h 29m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
1. Audio Dynamics
4. Special Dynamics Processors
5. Advanced Topics
An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.