Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Get in the Mix: Working with parallel compression, part of Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processing.
…Parallel compression is the process of combining an uncompressed version…of a signal with a compressed version and blending to taste.…This best of both worlds approach preserves the…dynamics, openness, character, and frequency response of the…unprocessed signal, while solving the issue of an…overly dynamic track getting lost in the mix.…When a compressed waveform is combined with…an uncompressed waveform, the result is purely additive.…The peaks…of the uncompressed wave form are preserved,…while the body of the signal is raised.…
Let's take a listen to these un-compressed drums.…Now listen to the un-compressed drums inside a dense section of the mix.…Notice how they have a little bit of trouble punching through the mix.…The problem here is that the drums get lost in…the denser parts of the mix, the chorus in this example.…Well more stuff is going on.…Simply turning them up will push up the transients and eat up head room.…Compressing them will bring them out more, but will also eat up…the transients, causing them to loose a lot of their punch and impact.…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring amplitude
- Understanding dynamic range
- Introducing compressors
- Utilizing compression ratios
- Applying attack and release
- Evening out a vocal performance with compression
- Adding punch and sustain to drums
- Using compression presets intelligently
- How to record with compression
- Solving common mix problems with limiters
- De-essing a vocal track
- Using gates and expanders
- Controlling frequency content with multiband compressors
- Using sidechains creatively
- Keying gates and compressors
- Fixing overcompressed tracks
- Using mixbus compression
- Working with parallel compression
- Compression and limiting best practices
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Foundations of Audio: EQ and Filterswith Brian Lee White2h 29m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
Pro Tools 11 Essential Trainingwith RIAN SKYE G LEWIN9h 14m Beginner
1. Audio Dynamics
4. Special Dynamics Processors
5. Advanced Topics
An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.