Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Get in the Mix: Using mix bus compression, part of Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processing.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
…Now that we understand why bus compression is so powerful as a mixing…tool, let's get hands on with an example, and get in the mix.…Take a listen to this full mix with the bus compression bypassed.…It sounds pretty good.…But I want to get just a little more lift out of the lower…level details, and tuck in the transients a bit to glue everything together.…Now listen with the bus compression enabled.…Here I'm using an attack of five milliseconds,…to allow some of the transience to punch through…and a release of 200 milliseconds or about an…eight note in this song, based on the tempo.…
Generally, I only want to get no more than a db or two of gain reduction.…Just enough to tie things together and give…me that lift and tuck on the whole mix.…In this example, I exaggerated my threshold settings…just a bit, to make the effect more audible.…But in a real…mix, I might go back and ease off the gain reduction.…While mixed bus compressors are great for gluing a mix together,…they can often do more damage than good when pushed too hard.…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring amplitude
- Understanding dynamic range
- Introducing compressors
- Utilizing compression ratios
- Applying attack and release
- Evening out a vocal performance with compression
- Adding punch and sustain to drums
- Using compression presets intelligently
- How to record with compression
- Solving common mix problems with limiters
- De-essing a vocal track
- Using gates and expanders
- Controlling frequency content with multiband compressors
- Using sidechains creatively
- Keying gates and compressors
- Fixing overcompressed tracks
- Using mixbus compression
- Working with parallel compression
- Compression and limiting best practices
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Foundations of Audio: EQ and Filterswith Brian Lee White2h 29m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
1. Audio Dynamics
4. Special Dynamics Processors
5. Advanced Topics
An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.