Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Get in the Mix: Using compression to add punch and sustain to drums, part of Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processing.
…Let's take a look at how to apply compression…to a single note, using it to draw out…the attack or sustain of a signal and letting…that note punch through dense musical sections of the mix.…This type of compression is often referred…to as envelope shaping or transient shaping.…A shape of a note's waveform is called its envelope.…The envelope describes how a note evolves over time.…Think of envelope as the trip a…signal's wave form takes from initial development through…final decay.…Let's take a look at a snare drum note's envelope.…We start with a sharp transient, this is referred to as the attack.…
This sharp transient is followed by a brief sustained…and final release period as the sound dies out.…Because a compressor reacts to a signal's amplitude as it changes over time,…we can use compression to play with the shape of a signal's envelope.…Listen to the snare drum without any compression, pay…attention to the sound of the attack and release.…Now listen to the same same snare with compression…applied and listen for how the sound has changed.…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring amplitude
- Understanding dynamic range
- Introducing compressors
- Utilizing compression ratios
- Applying attack and release
- Evening out a vocal performance with compression
- Adding punch and sustain to drums
- Using compression presets intelligently
- How to record with compression
- Solving common mix problems with limiters
- De-essing a vocal track
- Using gates and expanders
- Controlling frequency content with multiband compressors
- Using sidechains creatively
- Keying gates and compressors
- Fixing overcompressed tracks
- Using mixbus compression
- Working with parallel compression
- Compression and limiting best practices
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Foundations of Audio: EQ and Filterswith Brian Lee White2h 29m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
1. Audio Dynamics
4. Special Dynamics Processors
5. Advanced Topics
An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.