Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Get in the Mix: Using EQ to fix problems and place elements in the mix, part of Audio Foundations: EQ and Filters.
…EQ can be used to repair signal's frequency response…and create a more idealized representation of the recording.…Likewise, EQ can be used to fit the…resulting fixed signal into the rest of the mix.…Complementing the other elements.…Because of this I often like to break my EQ approach into two parts.…I start by considering the signal by itself, and listen for anything…that sounds out of place, like too much frequency build-up or…resonance from improper mic placement or…background noises recorded with the signal.…
At this stage, I may use EQ to attempt to correct these issues…before I try to place my signal into the rest of the mix.…I call this stage Corrective EQ.…This is the one place where I think it's okay to listen critically…in isolation, with the track soloed. During this stage, I'm…usually cutting or removing frequencies from the signal, rather than boosting.…After getting rid of things I know I don't want in the…signal, I proceed to the most important stage of the EQing process.…
EQing in context.…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring frequency and amplitude
- Understanding the relationship between frequency and pitch
- Working with EQ controls such as bandwidth (Q) and gain
- Using graphic EQ
- Understanding the shelving and high-pass and low-pass filters
- Creating focus with EQ
- Creating complementary EQ curves
- Performing frequency bracketing with filters
- Automating EQ
- Using frequency analyzers
- Using harmonic generators to excite frequency content
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Understanding Frequency and Amplitude
2. Using Equalizers
3. Advanced EQ Topics
4. Additional EQ and Filtering Techniques
6. An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.