Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Get in the Mix: De-essing a vocal track, part of Audio Foundations: Compression and Dynamic Processing.
…We now know that de-essing is frequency specific compression.…Let's put a de-esser to work on a vocal track.…Take a listen to this vocal passage,…paying particular attention to the ess sounds.…>> Tonight I feel asleep at…the wheel. I woke up just in time…with chills darting down my spine.…>> Because these ess sounds will likely get a…bit crispy as we add some top end EQ to…the mix, especially on the words asleep, chills, and…spine, we can use a de-esser to tame that sibilance.…
I like to use my de-essers before applying compression in EQ.…So I can get the bad stuff out of the way before it hits my other processors.…Now listen again as I activate…the de-esser. >> Tonight I feel…asleep at the wheel. I woke up…just in time with chills darting down my spine.…>> It's subtle, but effective.…
Using a high frequency only de-esser, all I'm doing here is just taking a bit…of the edge off those particularly sibilant words.…Many de-essers allow you to preview the side chain…signal and tune the frequency band to match the track.…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring amplitude
- Understanding dynamic range
- Introducing compressors
- Utilizing compression ratios
- Applying attack and release
- Evening out a vocal performance with compression
- Adding punch and sustain to drums
- Using compression presets intelligently
- How to record with compression
- Solving common mix problems with limiters
- De-essing a vocal track
- Using gates and expanders
- Controlling frequency content with multiband compressors
- Using sidechains creatively
- Keying gates and compressors
- Fixing overcompressed tracks
- Using mixbus compression
- Working with parallel compression
- Compression and limiting best practices
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Q: This course was updated on 1/10/2014. What changed?
A: The Get in the Mix videos have been updated to the most recent version of Pro Tools. Also, the course now includes free Get in the Mix sessions for two more DAWs: Logic Pro X and Pro Tools 11.
Audio Foundations: EQ and Filterswith Brian Lee White2h 29m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
1. Audio Dynamics
4. Special Dynamics Processors
5. Advanced Topics
An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.