Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Get in the Mix: Automating EQ, part of Audio Foundations: EQ and Filters.
…Most songs contain a variety of different…sections, as in verse, chorus, bridge, et cetera.…It's fairly common for an engineer to have to automate a level of a…track in a mix up or down to accomodate the new section's arrangement density.…For example, I might have to turn up my vocal…in the chorus as additional elements are added to the arrangement.…I can use the same technique with…e q for the same exact reason. Since e q is just a frequency…specific level control, and most daws allow me to easily automate plug ins.…
I can automate bands of e q to boost or cut during certain sections of my mix.…To better accomodate the sections elements.…For example, during most of the songs I…might want my guitar to complement the lead vocal…by removing some of the frequencies that compete with the vocals intelligability.…However during the guitar solo, the guitar becomes the…lead instrument and has no vocal to compete with.…So adding back or even boosting some of the same previously removed frequencies…during that section, can help it really pop out and come into focus.…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring frequency and amplitude
- Understanding the relationship between frequency and pitch
- Working with EQ controls such as bandwidth (Q) and gain
- Using graphic EQ
- Understanding the shelving and high-pass and low-pass filters
- Creating focus with EQ
- Creating complementary EQ curves
- Performing frequency bracketing with filters
- Automating EQ
- Using frequency analyzers
- Using harmonic generators to excite frequency content
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Understanding Frequency and Amplitude
2. Using Equalizers
3. Advanced EQ Topics
4. Additional EQ and Filtering Techniques
6. An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.