AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring amplitude
- Understanding dynamic range
- Introducing compressors
- Utilizing compression ratios
- Applying attack and release
- Evening out a vocal performance with compression
- Adding punch and sustain to drums
- Using compression presets intelligently
- How to record with compression
- Solving common mix problems with limiters
- De-essing a vocal track
- Using gates and expanders
- Controlling frequency content with multiband compressors
- Using sidechains creatively
- Keying gates and compressors
- Fixing overcompressed tracks
- Using mixbus compression
- Working with parallel compression
- Compression and limiting best practices
Skill Level Intermediate
- Hi, I'm Brian Lee White and welcome to foundations of audio compression, and dynamic processing. In this course, we'll look at the most common dynamics processors, including compressors, limiters, De-essers, expander/gates, and transient shapers. I'll start by covering the fundamentals of sound waves and amplitude, then, I'll break down the common controls of the compressor and show you how to add punch and sustain to tracks in your mix. ? I'll never forget ? That sound ? - [Brian] I'll demonstrate how to maximize mix loundness using brick wall limiters.
Use a de-esser to de-ess a vocal track. And apply gates and expanders to eliminate unwanted noise and bleed on your tracks. I'll then explain how to best utilize multiband compressors and use transient shapers to sculpt the attack and decay of individual notes. ? When the DJ plays your favorite songs ? This is when we loose it ? - I'll cover techniques including parallel compression, ducking compression, side chain setups, mix-buss compression, and using software models of vintage hardware.
Lastly, I'll discuss best practices for when and how to use compression and limiting in your mixes. Throughout the course, I'll also provide you with guided exercise content in the form of Get in the Mix demonstration sessions that you can open up in your own digital, audio work station. Now, lets get started with foundations of audio, compression, and dynamic processing.
Q: This course was updated on 1/10/2014. What changed?
A: The Get in the Mix videos have been updated to the most recent version of Pro Tools. Also, the course now includes free Get in the Mix sessions for two more DAWs: Logic Pro X and Pro Tools 11.
Audio Foundations: EQ and Filterswith Brian Lee White2h 28m Intermediate
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
1. Audio Dynamics
4. Special Dynamics Processors
5. Advanced Topics
An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.