Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Effectively using side-chain inputs, part of Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processing.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
Up until now, we've worked with the compressor by feeding the signal we wish to…compress directly into the threshold circuit of the compressor,…but what if you could control the compression of one signal using the dynamics of another?…Listen to the swell of the synth pad to the beat of the kick drum.…The kick drum is triggering the swell on the pad.…(music playing)…We'll discuss how to set this up specifically within your DAW in the next movie.…
The technique of controlling one's signal dynamics using another signal's…interaction with the compressor's threshold is called side chaining.…Instead of the compressor listening and reacting to the input signal, the…processor is told to listen to another signal, known as the key, and base its…compression decisions on that.…One of the most common uses of side chains is ducking.…Think about when a radio DJ talks over the music he's playing and how the music…seems to automatically turn itself down, much quicker than a human can react…with their hand on the volume fader.…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring amplitude
- Understanding dynamic range
- Introducing compressors
- Utilizing compression ratios
- Applying attack and release
- Evening out a vocal performance with compression
- Adding punch and sustain to drums
- Using compression presets intelligently
- How to record with compression
- Solving common mix problems with limiters
- De-essing a vocal track
- Using gates and expanders
- Controlling frequency content with multiband compressors
- Using sidechains creatively
- Keying gates and compressors
- Fixing overcompressed tracks
- Using mixbus compression
- Working with parallel compression
- Compression and limiting best practices
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Foundations of Audio: EQ and Filterswith Brian Lee White2h 29m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
1. Audio Dynamics
4. Special Dynamics Processors
5. Advanced Topics
An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.