Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video EQ and room acoustics: Is your room lying to you?, part of Audio Foundations: EQ and Filters.
Have you ever done what you thought was a killer mix only to take your mix…elsewhere and be utterly disappointed: what was the perfect amount of bass is now…way too much in the car, or the chunky tone of your guitars ends up being hollow…and thin on friend's speakers?…Mix portability, or how a mix translates from room to room and speaker to speaker,…has been toiled over by mixers of all skill levels for years.…EQ is all about altering the frequency balance of a signal, adding or…subtracting energy from a waveform's amplitude.…
Rather than relying on a list of frequencies and recipes to cut or boost,…seasoned engineers use their ears to apply EQ.…What if your speakers and room are coloring the frequency response of your mix?…In other words, what if the EQ adjustments you think are making your mix better…are actually just a response to how your room's acoustics are shaping the sound…coming from your speakers?…Let's try an experiment.…I'm going to play back a 100 hertz tone, and I want you to turn up your speakers…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring frequency and amplitude
- Understanding the relationship between frequency and pitch
- Working with EQ controls such as bandwidth (Q) and gain
- Using graphic EQ
- Understanding the shelving and high-pass and low-pass filters
- Creating focus with EQ
- Creating complementary EQ curves
- Performing frequency bracketing with filters
- Automating EQ
- Using frequency analyzers
- Using harmonic generators to excite frequency content
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Understanding Frequency and Amplitude
2. Using Equalizers
3. Advanced EQ Topics
4. Additional EQ and Filtering Techniques
6. An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.