Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video EQ or compression first?, part of Audio Foundations: EQ and Filters.
One of the most common questions I get from my students is whether they should…EQ their tracks before or after compression.…And the answer I always give them is, that depends.…I like to consider an addition- subtraction approach when deciding whether I want…to EQ or compress first.…What am I going to get rid of, and what do I want to play up or add?…In the case of subtraction, I think about what part of the signal's frequency…response do I not like or what I want to remove before the signal goes through a…compressor or limiter. Why?…Because I don't want the compressor's threshold to be triggered by material that…I want to get rid of anyway.…
For example, if I have a loop with a ton of low end that I don't need, I might…use an EQ to filter out all the bass frequencies before hitting the compressor.…Since those bass frequencies will likely make up most of that signal's…amplitude, they would likely influence the compressor's threshold in…an undesirable way.…Sometimes what happens when you use a lot of compression or limiting is that a…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring frequency and amplitude
- Understanding the relationship between frequency and pitch
- Working with EQ controls such as bandwidth (Q) and gain
- Using graphic EQ
- Understanding the shelving and high-pass and low-pass filters
- Creating focus with EQ
- Creating complementary EQ curves
- Performing frequency bracketing with filters
- Automating EQ
- Using frequency analyzers
- Using harmonic generators to excite frequency content
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Audio Foundations: Compression and Dynamic Processingwith Brian Lee White2h 25m Appropriate for all
1. Understanding Frequency and Amplitude
2. Using Equalizers
3. Advanced EQ Topics
4. Additional EQ and Filtering Techniques
6. An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.