Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Demystifying compression controls: soft knee vs. hard knee, part of Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processing.
The kink in a compressor's transfer curve graph is known as the compression knee,…due to its distinctly bent shape. The knee sits at or around the threshold point…and represents how much and at what amplitude level the compressor will…attenuate the signal.…Some compressors allow us to change this knee from what is known as hard knee, or…the full ratio of compression, as soon as the signal passes the threshold to what…is known as soft knee, a more gradual form of compression where the signal is…eased into the compressor's ratio setting over a larger threshold range.…
I say range because in a soft-knee compression curve, the threshold is no…longer a single point on the graph, but begins and ends over a larger range…of signal values centered around the original threshold setting, starting with…a lighter ratio and working its way to the full amount as defined by the ratio control.…Again, this concept is best represented by a transfer curve graph.…Imagine a compressor with the ratio of 10:1 and a threshold at -20 dBFS.…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring amplitude
- Understanding dynamic range
- Introducing compressors
- Utilizing compression ratios
- Applying attack and release
- Evening out a vocal performance with compression
- Adding punch and sustain to drums
- Using compression presets intelligently
- How to record with compression
- Solving common mix problems with limiters
- De-essing a vocal track
- Using gates and expanders
- Controlling frequency content with multiband compressors
- Using sidechains creatively
- Keying gates and compressors
- Fixing overcompressed tracks
- Using mixbus compression
- Working with parallel compression
- Compression and limiting best practices
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Foundations of Audio: EQ and Filterswith Brian Lee White2h 29m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
Pro Tools 11 Essential Trainingwith RIAN SKYE G LEWIN9h 14m Beginner
1. Audio Dynamics
4. Special Dynamics Processors
5. Advanced Topics
An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.