Join Alex U. Case for an in-depth discussion in this video Delay time, level, and feedback parameters, part of Audio Foundations: Delay and Modulation.
Conveniently, most delay effects have many of the same features and parameters.…What I'll be sharing with you in this course will apply to all delay effect…plug-ins, the ones you already have in your studio and others you may acquire…in the future.…Three of the most important delay settings are input/output level, delay…time, and feedback.…Input/output levels are pretty self-explanatory.…The goal is usually to set input and output levels so that there's no…significant gain change happening as a result of passing the audio through…the delay.…
That is we use the faders in the DAW, or on the mixing console, for major level…adjustments and try to pass signals into and out of the delay processor without…too much level change.…Watch the input level to make sure the device isn't overdriven to the point of…distortion, unless of course distortion is part of your intended effect.…Next, we need a way to adjust the timing of the delay.…So a time parameter is provided.…You can set your delay in standard units of time like milliseconds, or by a…
- Adjusting the delay time, level, and feedback parameters
- Utilizing a low-pass filter and polarity reverse
- Setting up an effects loop
- Setting the delay time by tempo or by ear
- Understanding the distinct uses of short, medium, and long delays
- Adjusting modulation rate, depth, and shape
- Adding double tracking and spreader effects
- Manipulating tone with constructive or destructive interference
- Creating a comb filter and flange effect
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Q: This course was updated on 01/31/2014. What changed?
A: The Get in the Mix videos have been updated to the most recent version of Pro Tools. Also, the course now includes free Get in the Mix sessions for two more DAWs: Logic Pro X and Pro Tool.