Join Alex U. Case for an in-depth discussion in this video Delay effects examples in various plug-ins, part of Audio Foundations: Delay and Modulation.
Having a long list of delay plug-ins to choose from can be intimidating at…first, but I have some good news.…When you learn how to use one delay, you've pretty much mastered all of them.…The basic parameters of level, delay time, low-pass filter, feedback,…polarity reverse, modulation rate, and modulation depth are all found on…almost every delay processor.…This is one the most basic delay plug- ins you might find, but it's rich with all…the controls we discussed.…We have level control shown here as gain, we specify the delay time here, there…is a low-pass filter, feedback, polarity reverse and a modulation section.…
Because it's a plug-in, it has a view to the tempo of your project if you're…using the tempo maps within your digital audio workstation.…This lower section lets you take advantage of that, to simply specify the delay…time in musically useful amounts, entering a quarter note or a dotted eighth…note, or any other musical value, instead of a delay time in milliseconds.…(music playing)…
- Adjusting the delay time, level, and feedback parameters
- Utilizing a low-pass filter and polarity reverse
- Setting up an effects loop
- Setting the delay time by tempo or by ear
- Understanding the distinct uses of short, medium, and long delays
- Adjusting modulation rate, depth, and shape
- Adding double tracking and spreader effects
- Manipulating tone with constructive or destructive interference
- Creating a comb filter and flange effect
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Q: This course was updated on 01/31/2014. What changed?
A: The Get in the Mix videos have been updated to the most recent version of Pro Tools. Also, the course now includes free Get in the Mix sessions for two more DAWs: Logic Pro X and Pro Tool.