Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating focus, part of Audio Foundations: EQ and Filters.
When applying EQ in a mix there are a number of common mistakes made by…novice engineers.…Here I want to talk about three of the big ones:…trying to make every instrument's stand out in the mix, trying to make too many…instruments fit into a mix, and EQing tracks in solo.…Not every track can be the star in a mix.…All instruments can't have the spotlight at the same time.…Instead, you can use EQ to help direct the listener to what the focal point of…the song is at any given moment.…
In fact, you can use EQ to make one or more instruments purposefully sound more…dull in order for another instrument to stand out.…Photographers use depth-of-field extensively to achieve this same effect.…They place the subject of the photo in focus while background elements may be…made intentionally out of focus to help draw the viewer's eye towards the…subject, and make for a more interesting composition or organization.…We can do this in music or post-production too using EQ.…
For example, the lead vocal track is usually the main focal point of a pop mix;…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring frequency and amplitude
- Understanding the relationship between frequency and pitch
- Working with EQ controls such as bandwidth (Q) and gain
- Using graphic EQ
- Understanding the shelving and high-pass and low-pass filters
- Creating focus with EQ
- Creating complementary EQ curves
- Performing frequency bracketing with filters
- Automating EQ
- Using frequency analyzers
- Using harmonic generators to excite frequency content
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Audio Foundations: Compression and Dynamic Processingwith Brian Lee White2h 25m Appropriate for all
1. Understanding Frequency and Amplitude
2. Using Equalizers
3. Advanced EQ Topics
4. Additional EQ and Filtering Techniques
6. An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.