Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Controlling frequency content with multi-band compressors, part of Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processing.
Now that we have a good idea about why and how multiband compressors work, let's…take a look at a specific example of using multiband compression to control…frequency content in a mix.…Take a listen to this loop.…Notice how on Beat 1 of the loop we have a super-bassy 808 drum that seems to…overtake the low end of everything else.…Now, this can be cool, but I think the low end is a little too much,…especially if there's going to be other low-frequency elements added to the…mix, like another kick drum.…(music playing)…Because this is a loop and I don't have the 808 hit on an isolated track, I…can't simply turn down the 808. Nor can I use EQ to treat the low end, because…that would affect the low end of the bass synth as well.…
What I can use is a multiband compressor on the low frequencies of this loop to…see if I can get it to give me a little gain reduction only on the downbeats,…when the 808 is strongest.…To accomplish this, I'll first pull up my multiband compressor on the loop track.…I'm using the Waves C4 plug-in here.…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring amplitude
- Understanding dynamic range
- Introducing compressors
- Utilizing compression ratios
- Applying attack and release
- Evening out a vocal performance with compression
- Adding punch and sustain to drums
- Using compression presets intelligently
- How to record with compression
- Solving common mix problems with limiters
- De-essing a vocal track
- Using gates and expanders
- Controlling frequency content with multiband compressors
- Using sidechains creatively
- Keying gates and compressors
- Fixing overcompressed tracks
- Using mixbus compression
- Working with parallel compression
- Compression and limiting best practices
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Foundations of Audio: EQ and Filterswith Brian Lee White2h 29m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
1. Audio Dynamics
4. Special Dynamics Processors
5. Advanced Topics
An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.