Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Compression first or EQ first? , part of Audio Foundations: Compression and Dynamic Processing.
One of the most common questions I get from my students is whether they…should EQ their tracks before or after compression, and the answer I always give…them is, that depends.…I like to consider an addition- subtraction approach when deciding whether or not…I want to EQ or compress first:…what I'm going to get rid of and what do I want to play up or add?…In the case of subtraction, I think about what part of the signal's frequency…response I did not like or what I'm going to want to remove before it hits the mix bus.…I generally like to get rid of any frequency material I don't want before I hit…my compressors or limiters.…
That way the compressor's threshold won't be triggered by material I'm going…to get rid of anyway.…For example, if I have a loop with a ton of low end that I don't need, I might…using EQ to filter out all the bass frequencies before hitting the compressor.…Since those bass frequencies will likely make the most of that…signal's amplitude, they would likely influence the compressor's…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring amplitude
- Understanding dynamic range
- Introducing compressors
- Utilizing compression ratios
- Applying attack and release
- Evening out a vocal performance with compression
- Adding punch and sustain to drums
- Using compression presets intelligently
- How to record with compression
- Solving common mix problems with limiters
- De-essing a vocal track
- Using gates and expanders
- Controlling frequency content with multiband compressors
- Using sidechains creatively
- Keying gates and compressors
- Fixing overcompressed tracks
- Using mixbus compression
- Working with parallel compression
- Compression and limiting best practices
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Q: This course was updated on 1/10/2014. What changed?
A: The Get in the Mix videos have been updated to the most recent version of Pro Tools. Also, the course now includes free Get in the Mix sessions for two more DAWs: Logic Pro X and Pro Tools 11.
Audio Foundations: EQ and Filterswith Brian Lee White2h 28m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
1. Audio Dynamics
4. Special Dynamics Processors
5. Advanced Topics
An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.