Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Building healthy compression/limiting habits, part of Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processing.
I hope you've seen and heard how powerful dynamics processors can be when used effectively.…They have the ability to make tracks come alive, providing power and strength.…But the same tools that can make a track stand out can also destroy it.…Too much compression can take the life out of otherwise lively, brilliant tracks,…making them sound weak and dull.…Here are a couple overall concepts to keep in mind when deciding how much is…too much compression.…Just as a compressor can exaggerate a signal's transient response, making it…sharper or snappier,…it can just as easily take this away.…
Remember, loud is only relative to quiet and hard is only relative to soft.…If you push too hard, you can actually flatten out a track's transient response,…making it sound flat and lacking punch.…Dynamic differences are what make sound and music move us.…They're what make the speaker cones move and our chest thump to the beat of a loud woofer.…You want to control your dynamics, not obliterate them.…Remember, when increasing a signal's average loudness and reducing its…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring amplitude
- Understanding dynamic range
- Introducing compressors
- Utilizing compression ratios
- Applying attack and release
- Evening out a vocal performance with compression
- Adding punch and sustain to drums
- Using compression presets intelligently
- How to record with compression
- Solving common mix problems with limiters
- De-essing a vocal track
- Using gates and expanders
- Controlling frequency content with multiband compressors
- Using sidechains creatively
- Keying gates and compressors
- Fixing overcompressed tracks
- Using mixbus compression
- Working with parallel compression
- Compression and limiting best practices
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Foundations of Audio: EQ and Filterswith Brian Lee White2h 29m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
Pro Tools 11 Essential Trainingwith RIAN SKYE G LEWIN9h 14m Beginner
1. Audio Dynamics
4. Special Dynamics Processors
5. Advanced Topics
An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.