Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Building healthy EQ strategies, part of Audio Foundations: EQ and Filters.
EQ is an extremely powerful tool for shaping the frequency balance of elements…in a recording or mix.…It can help bring things forward or push them back, allowing you to create or…take away focus and highlight important elements while keeping others from…being distracting.…EQ can help repair poor recordings and make great ones sound even better.…Here are some tips that I've learned over the years while mixing with EQ.…I find that many inexperienced engineers don't have a goal in mind when…they approach a mix.…
Because of this, they tend to wander around tinkering with elements out of context.…Ultimately, this creates a muddled and uninteresting mix.…I think you should have a plan and make a statement with your mix.…Try to imagine you're finished mix before you start and use that as a template…to push you forward.…Try using reference mixes of other songs from a similar genre to inspire you and…get the creative juices flowing.…You'd be surprised at how easy your EQ decisions can be if you actually have a…
AuthorBrian Lee White
- Measuring frequency and amplitude
- Understanding the relationship between frequency and pitch
- Working with EQ controls such as bandwidth (Q) and gain
- Using graphic EQ
- Understanding the shelving and high-pass and low-pass filters
- Creating focus with EQ
- Creating complementary EQ curves
- Performing frequency bracketing with filters
- Automating EQ
- Using frequency analyzers
- Using harmonic generators to excite frequency content
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Understanding Frequency and Amplitude
2. Using Equalizers
3. Advanced EQ Topics
4. Additional EQ and Filtering Techniques
6. An Interview with the Author
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.